At Hawley Primary School we aim to provide a high-quality art and design education which engages, inspires and challenges children to create their own works of art. We are committed to providing all children with rich learning opportunities, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent, create and enjoy using their imaginations. Children are given opportunities to think critically, to reflect and make informed responses about their own work and that of others.
Through studying great artists, children at Hawley learn how art and design both reflect and shape our history and contribute to the culture and creativity of our nation. Exploring a wide variety of artists, craftspeople and designers ensures children can develop their own opinions of artwork, think critically and imaginatively and form their own responses to art.
At Hawley Primary School, art is linked to other areas of the curriculum, which enables children to become immersed in their topic and explore many cross-curricular links.
In Key Stage 1
Pupils are taught:
- to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- to use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- to develop a wide range of art and design techniques using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
In Key Stage 2
Pupils are taught to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design.
Pupils are taught:
- to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay]
- about great artists, architects and designers in history.