Skip to content ↓

Special Educational Needs

What are Special Educational Needs (SEN)?

The law says that children have special educational needs if they have a learning difficulty which calls for special educational provision to be made for them." (1996 Education Act).  Some children may have special educational needs for a relatively short time, others will have special educational needs right through their education.


The Governors and Staff of this school aim to provide a learning environment which excites, challenges and motivates each individual pupil. Some children find it harder to learn than other children of the same age. Children who are finding learning difficult are supported by their teachers, or with some extra help in school. Here at Hawley we provide a differentiated and inclusive curriculum which meets the needs of most children, including those with a special educational need. We recognise that any pupil may have additional needs at some time during their school life. This school will ensure that all pupils enjoy a broad, balanced education which meets their individual needs, whether they are gifted and talented or have learning difficulties.


Special Needs Information Report

The Children and Families Bill (2013) requires Local Authorities to publish information on services and provision across education, health and social care for children and young people aged 0 – 25 with Special Educational (SEN). The purpose of the local offer is to enable parents and carers to see more clearly what services are available for children with SEN in their area and how to access them.

Hawley Primary School's Special Needs Report which details how we provide for children with SEN can be found below.

Arrangements for the Admission of disabled pupils

Please see our Accessibility Plan below for full details.

Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO)

Our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator is Mrs Francesca Smith and she may be contacted as follows:

Telephone: 01276 31048


Complaint Procedures

If a parent is not happy with the Special Needs Provision for their child, they are encouraged to discuss concerns initially with the class teacher, SENCo or Head Teacher.

Parents with complaints about Special Educational Needs can go through the School Complaints Procedure detailed on the school website. A copy of the procedure is available from the school office.